11.27.2008

takeoffs and landings

I left Irvine today for the first time in two months, and I have to say it was quite a strange experience. My hall was gradually emptying out and so I said goodbye to my friends and headed to the airport. Irvine was really sunny and warm and I was pretty much giddy with excitement to be heading back to NorCal. My flight got delayed though -- but it wasn't enough to put a damper on my cheery spirits.

I love the feeling you get in your stomach when you take off or when you land. And I love looking out the window and seeing clouds stretching out before you as far as the eye can see, like a friendly ocean of soft comfort and luxury! The sky was tinted pink by the setting sun, creating an image all the more beautiful and appealing.

A short nap later and I was awoken by the pilot's voice telling the passengers that we were arriving in San Jose shortly. Looking out the window, I saw a very different scene. It was dark, and lights from the ground were barely breaking through the heavy fog and clouds to cast a soft glow. After I exited the airport I saw that the ground was wet and the air heavy with moisture. It was cold, much colder than SoCal and I somehow rejoiced in this difference. It made me feel at home, even though I really dislike cold weather and rain.

I finally got to see my new home! I enjoy it a lot, although the distance from my friends is a little annoying and stressful. I had a super nice Asian dinner with my family and then got to see everyone again!! Also, I spent $70 at Target. I'm glad that nothing has changed.

Samantha, Kathy, Hermes, Nate and I met up at Tartini and were joined by Meher, Arjun, and Andy after a bit. I punched Sam in the face....haha. NO GOOD. But it was seriously SO nice to just be with everyone again. Just hanging out and talking and doing nothing as always...it's comforting to be able to come back to the same (but different) people. I don't know how to explain, it just made me really happy seeing these familiar people.

I got to hang out with Natalie at Arjun's house too! And Crystal, for a bit...and I saw Paulina for a second. Really not a bad first night at all, and plans for tomorrow are definitely forming fast.

I love being at home and I love knowing that most of my friends are back in Cuptown sleeping in their own homey beds tonight. Maybe I'm in a super cheesy mood but DAMN I love you guys! Seriously...ok, I'll stop before I make you guys gag. But I would just like to close by saying that I am VERY excited for the coming three days! And then Sunday will just be sad all over again but I don't have to think about that till later. (:

1 comment:

Liz said...

You guys need to all get together infront of one webcam and skype with me!!!