9.23.2008

my first official college post!

As the title of this post explains, this is my first official college post! I am sitting here in the pitch darkness, staring at the bright screen of my laptop and probably ruining my retinas but whatever, blogging is necessary for right now! My roommate, Sarah, is asleep, as I probably should be (considering I got a total of maybe six hours of REM in the past two days) but I can sleep in a little tomorrow and I want to reach out into a world I'm more comfortable in -- because SoCal is not that.

Don't get me wrong, Irvine is definitely nice. My hall is really nice and conveniently located near the dining hall, housing office, student center, and just a short walk to the BEAUTIFUL Aldrich Park. The weather is perfect, people are friendly and nice, and my room is pretty set up and I like it how it is. But it still doesn't feel like home, and I feel like I'm drifting around with no definite anchor. It's hard to be in a place with so many people you don't know, trying to build connections and find that click, but part of me thinks that you really can't force it. It'll come with time, just chill and go with the flow! Oh well, who said life was easy. Just doesn't feel like home yet, and I hope that it'll get there soon though. For the most part I am keeping busy with the crazy welcome week activities and missing my friends like a crazy person. ):

This whole experience has really made me question the type of person I am. I always thought I was the independent, outgoing type but I realized I can be really dependent on others and pretty introverted. That's not the best version of myself at all, and it's definitely not the image I want to project on these first few crucial days. It's just tough cause it's all so new and different I guess...I take a while to get used to things.

Contrary to the general tone of my entry though, I have been having fun. Welcome week is CRAZY and the people I've met and hung out with have been really nice. So far I've pretty much settled in my dorm, bought most of my books, gone shopping, bought a TV!!, explored campus at night (BUNNIES EVERYWHERE!!! Chiang didn't lie.), checked out the freaking AMAZING ARC, and participated in hall competitions. Fun stuff! For the rest of the week I'm looking forward to the pre-show of Eagle Eye, Middle/Mesa Mixer, Iron Man in Aldrich Park, shopping at the District, and the beach trip this Friday! I am even excited for classes. How surreal. I really am enjoying myself though, just wish my good buddies were here to share the fun and sun.

2 comments:

RJ said...

make more friends by CONTROLLING them. hey it worked on us right?

haha jk! i truly believe your charm will get to the people around you at some point or the other.

p.s. - your text was the only reason i did not get a detention for sleeping in math class today. <3 keep them coming. miss you like craaazy.

Unknown said...

I find myself unable to sum up my first days of college, this basically is identical! I'm having a good time, though the first few paragraphs hold true as well.

Also, I am extremely jealous about the bunnies.