9.18.2008

REM adventures

First I was in an unfamiliar hotel room with random MV kids from 07, 08, 09. I stepped out of it into a bare patch of ground and saw that we were in the hills. Shawn was sitting under some trees and we decided to go for a ride in his car. For some reason, I sat behind him instead of sitting shotgun. I remember rolling the windows up and down and enjoying the speed at which we were careening through the hills. Suddenly I looked up and the sunny, rounded hills were gone and we were driving up a huge, steep mountain, with the peak shrouded in fog. We could only see about 20, 30 feet above us and yet we kept going up that damn mountain; I remember thinking that we were probably going up it at a 90 degree angle. I look out the window to my left and see an old, Amish-looking couple standing on the porch of their small house. They were gazing around at their property and as my eyes followed theirs, I realized their house was planted in the middle of a huge cemetery. White gravestones populated the spaces of lawn as dandelions often do, bearing a heavier emotion than yellow weeds would. At this point my heart grew heavy and fear and regret settled within me in some dark place. Soon, we took a right turn and the road flattened. Now making our way through a dense, black forest, I thought about each of my friends who had left for college already and felt how much I missed them. I voiced my thoughts to no response from Shawn; he just kept driving fast through the dark trees. Suddenly our surroundings changed into that of an indoor shopping mall. Deserted, dimly lit, and spacious, Shawn careened through the mall making wild turns and even driving through a diamond shop. The salesgirl didn't seem to mind, she kept reading her magazine through her rimmed glasses. After exiting the diamond shop I found myself alone, standing by the entrance of the mall and seeing people coming in. Familiar faces strolled into the shopping mall, each looking for something in particular and bypassing me with no second thought. I sat down in a swivel chair and soon saw Kevin was making his way into the mall. I remember I was singing 'Goodbye To You', and then Kevin pushed me on my swivel chair out into the dark parking lot, which was surprisingly filled with cars. Spinning and spinning away from the mall, I saw headlights flashing as I narrowly missed one speedy white sedan, and then I woke up.

I had a dream, and it scared me to pieces. I woke up with 'Goodbye To You' echoing in my mind and a heavy sadness plaguing my thoughts.

Two days.

No comments: