1.01.2010

a 2009 recap

I think I did a really good job documenting 2009. 97 posts on this blog, 1145 tweets, photo albums from every month on facebook, and then a BOATLOAD of random memorabilia on various tumblr accounts. Tumblr = my miscellaneous drawer. I love it with a burning passion.

Anyway, I hardly even remember what happened this year. But who needs to, when you have technology working for you the way that I do? I guess part of the reason why I document so much of what happens in my life is because I'm always afraid of forgetting. Alzheimers IS one of my greatest fears. I'm getting sidetracked. What I mean to say is, right now, looking back, I hardly remember what happened in 2009 and how these events brought me to where I am now. I read a couple of posts from December 2008 and damn I feel different. In a good way, in a bad way, who can really say? But I'll resort to a Vanessa Carlton lyric that somehow always lodges itself into my brain at times like these:

"I feel so far from where I've been."

But yes, if I've learned anything at all, it's that everything is always moving. Constantly changing. My efforts to hold onto moments and remember the happenings is just evidence of how much things can change in fleeting moments. No matter what, you'll never remember it exactly as it was.

January 2009
-Rang in the New Year with the greatest of friends at Meher's house. I still remember Natalie saying "this is the only year we can still wear those glasses, because next year we'll have a bar in the middle of our face!" Trudat, double true.
-I browsed through my January 2009 pictures and it's nice to see I've pretty much spent the entire year with the same people. The same faces in those pictures but I feel so much closer to them, which I love.

February 2009
-February was a very happy month, full of lounging in the park or at various beaches, exploring in Pasadena, LMFAO concert, Beatles music...etc.
-This was the month of the car hustla/aspiring screenwriter.
-Happy birthday TWITTER, 2/8. <3>

March 2009
-March was just as good, if not better.
-The month of spring break! Surprisingly I did not go to Miami or somewhere and prance around in a tiny bikini while gyrating my hips to the party tunes as beer and roofies rained down around me. INSTEAD, Nate and Crystal and I roadtripped our way home. I look back at this very fondly.

April 2009
-BIRTHDAY MONTH! I turned 18 years old. Legally an adult. Time for some responsibility. Or, you know, not. Midnight brought phone calls and texts and IMs from people I love, then I had a very fun birthday dinner and quite the birthday party...hahaha.
-And this was the month I started the lil sis program for PAPhi. WOOPWOOP...made some friends, had some adventures, learned some lessons, yafeel? I think it opened my eyes to a lot of people-business. Goodbye, naivete.

May 2009
-A busy month. I think I was mostly taken up with the lil sis thing, lots of hanging outs with peoples. And I got a job this month at the Zot N Go, happy seven months, job.
-Cartilage piercing!

June 2009
-HELLO SUMMER! & hello summer school.....moved into my apartment in Irvine. And BRING ON THE SUMMER FUN!
-I went to my first rave - EDC! (:
-In general, June was just about cool summer nights and hot summer days, socializing excessively, eating too much, shopping a lot, getting tan, staying out late, sleeping in, breaking rules, all the regular summer goodness.

July 2009
-More of the same( :
-This month, I chased grunions and made some memorable insta-friends.
-"More and more, the every day roller coaster is teaching me how to depend on myself and where to find the people to truly count on."
-July, I just wanted more, more, more. More of everything. Hahaha, sigh.

August 2009
-What a month of revelations!
-Camping trip with some sluts. Probably one of my favorite memories from summer 09, and what great fun it was. It was nice to be without technology for a while and to just enjoy the company of your friends, and to be gloriously dirty and physically exhausted and not give a damn. Being tan is also fun. Being bowlegged is not.
-I GOT MY PERMIT! AHHAHAHAHA -_- Am I a grown up yet?
-Was reminded of how much I miss ice skating.
-My trip to the motherland brought a lot of new things to think about to my plate, as well as a lot of understanding and renewed appreciation for my life...and a general push to work harder and fulfill potential, or something like that.

September 2009
-back to school. I entered the quarter ready to get down to business, very goal-oriented, yadayada. I think I lost it somewhere along the way.
-rushed Greek. Learned a lot about myself and others. Stress. Tried harder to understand this concept of "being yourself".
-but I did sign up for a lot of stuff. Kept my job at Zot N Go, discovered a subject that I'm really interested in (anthropology), got a position on the yearbook staff, started the process of becoming a writer for the paper, and got an internship for student govt.

October 2009
-was a ridiculous month. I guess I got sucked into this identity crisis sort of deal and had some struggles figuring that out, but I also had a lot of fun.
-Went to my third Jason Mraz concert, saw Gym Class Heroes and Shwayze, and had quite a Halloween. Also randomly made things happen and ended up going to the Gen Art fashion show in LA, which turned into the birthing of the fuckupellas as well as a sad attempt at a fashion blog and, later on, a realization that I am not fashionista material. I will just blog about other things, haha.
-started valuing the power of DGAF. And yeah, there was much rambling and craziness on my blog in October. "WHO AM I/WHERE AM I GOING" type teen angst, all in a days work.

November 2009
-another socially busy month with a side of more teen-angst, blog style.
-Saw The-Dream, discovered revolving sushi, had a nice adventure day & re-fell in love with swinging, meteor showers, cooked a lot more at my apartment...generally I think I learned to appreciate the littler things in life, and started trying to slow myself down.
-Thanksgiving was spent in Reno with my family. Thought a lot about things that I am thankful for.

December 2009
-Meet my new boyfriend: the Disneyland annual pass.
-birthed my tumblr. LOVE<3
-HOME & amazing friends...I am really so, so lucky. I don't think I could ever find a group as hilarious and trustworthy and just off the wall cool...awzm (:

So for 2010, goals...keep blogging? Keep documenting, keep thinking (but less overthinking).

And staying FOCUSED! Being the best I can be -- staying motivated and ambitious when it comes to school stuff, getting healthier cause I figure my body took a massive beating in 2009, and being more decisive.

ANYWAY, overall, I just feel like events in 2009 taught me so much and opened my eyes to how the world works slash how I function, as well. 2010 I'm definitely going to keep learning and I'm excited for whatever is coming up, because basically we just keep learning until we die, and I think that's kinda great.

HAPPY NEW YEAR (:

No comments: